Thursday, February 17, 2011

Buy books or your Local Library?

The subject of "frugality" and still having fun....I would like to ask you how many times have you read a book that you have bought?

That novel you bought for $29.95 has been read and placed back on the book shelf, only to be skimmed through again or lent out to someone else to read.

I used to do this ALOT. I love books, I hate e-books though! I love the smell of the pages, I love grabbing a book and laying down on my chaise to have a read before bed or during a warm afternoon sitting by the window.

I would have probably bought 2 books a month previously. A decent paperback novel from Borders set me back $29.95 to $34.95. With a book sitting at $29.95 for two books per month - that totals up to $718.80c for a year minimum! Crazy!

So I actually looked up where my local library was (it's sad that I did not know where it was). I walked in with my I.D and signed myself up to get a library card. The librarians were quite mundane about it (just another citzen wanting books) however I was excited like I was when I got my first ever library card at the age of 8.

I now make it a weekly trip into the middle of town to borrow 2 books and 3 or 4 DVD's to watch....for FREE.

This blog I will be updating regularly with the books and DVD's I have seen from the library. And I'll add the amount of what the book would cost to my "savings tally" to see how much I would have saved by not buying them.

Visit your local library today! There is so much stuff in there now that I had no even heard of prior.... I mean,, the latest film on DVD's! Foreign films! Awesome books! For no price whatsoever... actually.. I should say - it's priceless :-)


DVDs watched:

Turtles Can Fly
The Joy Luck Club
Paper Heart
Broken Flowers
The Heartbreak kid
Green Card
Bran Nue Dae
Ugly Melanie


Books read:

Riding the Bus with my Sister
The Diaries
The Terminal Man (this book is quite good!)

No comments:

Post a Comment