Saturday, February 19, 2011

Days 4 and 5 of Frugality. Cheap Fruit and Vege in Melbourne?

I must admit - I wasn't home yesterday or most of today! So, I guess it didn't count as part of my project as people bought me food and the fact that I scored several pieces of free fruit as well! Eeek! back on track tomorrow.

So as for buying fruit and vegetables, where do you all go for that? As msot people know, Australia copped quite a bit of flack from the cyclones and flooding is Queensland. Most of our fresh fruits grow up there which smashed the banana and pineapple plantations. Everything mostly spiralled out of whack which is slowly starting to escalate our fruit and vege prices....
soo.....


Where do you shop in Australia?

I had a look here today - The Caribbean Gardens are generally cheaper than large chain grocery stores by about $1-$2 per kilo.

I know of this place quite well - The Queen Victoria Market has amazing food at low cost price. And if you are a meat eater - I have heard that meat is extra cheap here also. I wouldn't know though - I'm only going by word of mouth being a vegetarian!

If you're game - there is a place in Footscray as well, I found this market to be excellent if you want to buy spices by the gram. Sometimes a recipe only requires a dash of a particular spice and you don't want to buy a whole packet that you're not going to use.



No comments:

Post a Comment