Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Frugal Shopping List - Make or Break?

So today was the day I needed to work through a shopping list to keep it under $21 a week for groceries.
I thought that I would go over the limit... and having it based around a vegan diet was certainly a challenge within itself. And I'm afraid I'll starve? who knows, maybe I won't!

The List:
A bag of green apples - $0.91 <--- this was an absolute steal! safeway $1.29 per kilo, 700 grams of apples!
3 Oranges - $1.49 for 500 grams
3 Bananas - $1.56 for 500 grams
Bag of Coles brand Oats - $1.30 (On special at the local store)
1 litre of So Good Soy - $3.30
2 cans of lentils - $3.00 (this was a bargain too - coles brand)
1kg rice from the local indian grocery shop - $4.00 (I rarely buy rice so I don't know if this is cheap or not? I figured rice would make me fuller quicker and not make the meals so bland - argh)
Coles Flour 1kg - $1.32

With just that it is $16.88 so far.

I went to the local fruit and veg market to pick up the following:

Cauliflower, some broccolli, a bunch of radish and 2 cans of spinach - $5.97

Grand total of $22.85.

Okay so I didn't make the cut with my list however, $22.85 is not a bad amount to work with.

And I didn't even buy nuts! Crap.

_____________________________


A 7 day meal planner to arrive in my next blog tomorrow.

Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment